/11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF The spiritual head of Boachasanvasi Akshar Purushottam Sanstha (BAPS) Swaminarayan Sanstha Pramukh Swami Maharaj breathed his last on Saturday at around 6 PM in Sarangpur, which houses the largest temple of BAPS.
Pramukh Swami Maharaj was called the fifth spiritual successor of Swaminarayan, who is the central figure of Akshar Purshottam faith.
BAPS in an earlier announcement said: His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj, spiritual head and president of the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, inspirer of countless and a great servant of society, passed away today, 13 Aug 2016, at 6 pm in Sarangpur. We deeply mourn the departure of our revered guruji. The arrangements for final darshan will be announced later today.
What do we know about Pramukh Swami Maharaj:
1. He was born on December 7, 1921 in Vadodara district as Shantilal Patel. His parents Motibhai and Diwaliben Patel were followers of Shastriji Maharaj, believed to be the fourth successor of Swaminarayan.
2. Pramukh Swami Maharaj received initiation from Shastriji Maharaj, who in 1940 ordained him as Shastri Narayanswarupdas.
3. The famous Akshardham temples built in Gujarat and Delhi, were done under his supervision.
4. He was appointed the President of BAPS in 1950 by Shastriji Maharaj.
5. Pramukh Swami Maharaj was declared the spiritual successor of Yogiji Maharaj in 1971. He assumed the role of guru of BAPS in 1971.