There was no mention of a police jeep, which was also attacked, in the report.
A senior Home Ministry official said the twin attacks suggested there were two groups of terrorists. “It is only a preliminary report and all facts are subject to verification,” said Ashok Prasad, Home Ministry spokesperson.
Another official said there would be no radical shift in security strategy.
Though security agencies expected a wave of violence around July 8 — the first death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander and Islamic terrorist Burhan Wani, the Centre had downplayed the threats and said they were not making any special security arrangements as Wani was among hundreds of terrorists killed in the Valley.
Wani was killed in an encounter with the security forces on July 8 last year, leading to massive spate of violence and protests in the Kashmir Valley. Over 70 civilians were killed during the protests that followed Wani’s death.
Another official said the number of Central forces and Army personnel deployed in the Valley was the maximum ever as they prepared for the ongoing Amarnath Yatra and July 8, which was devoid of any major incident.