Site icon Hinduism Now Global Press

Ancient 500-pillored Trikutalayam temple left in lurch | The Hans India

Jangaon: The ancient 500-pillored Trikutalayam, built during the Kakatiya regime, in Nidigonda village of Raghunadhapalli mandal of the district, is facing complete neglect with vandals plundering the precious stone carved images. According to the legend, Kakatiya ruler Ganapatideva gave the Nidigonda village to his younger sister Kundamamba towards ‘Pasupu Kumkuma’. She built the Trikutalayam as a token of gratitude for her brother.

The temple was called as Trikutalayam because the people worshipped the idols of Lord Siva, Lord Vishnu and the Sun God. The temple is highly popular after the 1000-pillor temple at Hanmakonda. The temple was built in such a way that the sun rays fall directly on the Siva Linga in the temple at sunrise and sunset.

When the government allocated funds in 1996 to give facelift to the temple, the contractor washed off and backed out of the project executing a work here and another there. Excellent stone sculpted images were vandalised by robbers as no security guard was appointed. The villagers have been appealing to the State government to give facelift to the historic Trikutalayam and develop the place as a tourist place.

By Ahmad Pasha

Exit mobile version